Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Scratch Test

We went to the allergist on Monday to get the patch test patches applied. I am an idiot and somehow didn't realize they were going to do the scratch test at Monday's visit and not during the following appointment. Minor detail I suppose.

This is the scratch test.



Stripped down to a diaper, first clue bad things are in the immediate future.




"If I stare them down they won't hurt me." Didn't work but was worth a shot.




They mark his arm.



Then the other arm.




Tiger baby is marked up and ready to go.






They use a plastic stick with small prongs at the tip (dipped in food) and twist it against the skin. (Apologizes for the sideways video. After waiting 10 minutes for it to upload you are lucky you are still getting a post.)




18 different food samples + 2 controls


Wait 15 minutes.

Come back to read the results (=see how big the bumps are) and........

Nothing! Absolutely. Nothing. He reacted to the positive control (which he should have) but a big fat negative on everything else.

1 set of RAST results came back. He got a green light to eat quinoa, sweet potatoes, and pinto beans. Daddy is excited Tyler can "be a Mexican." (
I am not being racist, I am using my husband's words. If you ask DH what nationality he is, he will tell you he's Mexican.)

We asked the doctor if it is common to have negative scratch results. Unfortunately it can be common. Urgh! The good part is that we don't have to worry about anaphylaxis.

Then they started the Patch Test.




Patch Test = Food stuck on small metal disks and taped to your back for 48 hours.



"Help me, Mom! I've got tape stuck to my back."


Luckily the 48 hours is almost over because the smell isn't so pleasant. Nothing like ham, beef, chicken, wheat, soy, egg, pears, bananas, and 10 other foods taped to your back. Yum yum! :)

By the end......



He was done.

4 comments:

  1. Oh! Your poor woogums!!!! I feel so badly. They did that kind of stuff to me too. They make a grid out of your body and watch it puff up so that they can scientifically say to you, "Wow, you're like... allergic to most of nature." Thank you. Thank you. Now leave me alone!!!!

    Kudos for being a great mom and getting him checked out though. Its so rough to see your baby having to go through that kind of torture. I hope its over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are such tough little fellas, What a trooper when they were puttung all that stuff all over his arms! Please link to me! i linked to you <3 Let us know what they say in 48 hours

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't miss those days! We've done the scratch test twice and we're done. It never comes back positive, so it's all patch testing for L. And a big YAHOO! for the quinoa, sweet potatoes and pinto beans!!! I may have to have that for lunch, it just sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through your comment on Jenny's blog. We just completed scratch tests and our first round of patch testing in the last month. Our son was diagnosed with EE and EGE the first week in April. We are seeing Dr. Rose. I will definitely be following your blog! Blessings, Kiara

    ReplyDelete